Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fabric District, Never-Ever #2








































Working towards my goal of doing 19 things I have never-ever done this year, I am happy to report I have added to my list! Yesterday, I had the privilege of spending the day with my mom, sister, and a few co-workers that we met up with in the Fabric District in downtown Los Angeles, California. It was amazing, overwhelming, fast paced, tiring, and all around a great day! There were blocks upon blocks of stores stacked on top of one another full of knickknacks, ribbons, buttons, and FABRIC, blocks and blocks of fabric. I was in Heaven. We took our time heading up there, and met up with a few co-workers who headed up before us. We parked, and started our adventure. I am not going to lie, it was beyond overwhelming, sensory overload for sure. The fist few stores we were trying to figure out prices and get a feel of the place. The group ended up splitting up the majority of the day, like most buying adventures with multiple people wanting different things do; but we ended up meeting again later in the day, and that was perfect.
I was as happy as a clam, I was in my element and loving every second of it. Being the red-headed, blue eyed person I am, there is nothing more amusing than hearing the guys try to figure out a price in front of you in Spanish, then break out my Spanish and barter with them. I think half the time they are shocked that I am fluent in Spanish, but I think they are trying to figure out how this can be, and with my Argentine accent, thy are trying to figure out where I am from. I LOVE it!! Well needless to say, I was able to get some really stellar deals on some items that I had been looking for. All around an amazing day.
Mom and Jess
Here is an idea of what we were dealing with.
We took on the whole adventure, including street vendors!

The craziness of the crowds...


Oh, the choices!
The shopping ladies :)

Buttons, buttons, and more buttons



 I hope you enjoy the photos!


Hints if you are headed that way:

  • Go in knowing regular retail prices of items
  • Look into how much the items cost online buying in bulk if you are planning 
  • Bring bottled water
  • Bathrooms are few and far between, and most are the pay-to-pee type
  • Don't be afraid to barter for a cheaper price, yes everything is cheap, but remember they are still make a profit!
  • Pace yourself, there are more stores than you can imagine
  • Keep in mind a lot of the stores start closing shop around 3/3:30ish
  • Have a blast!
Happy crafting!!

~Lou

1 comment:

  1. What a great day it was....the pictures are so vibrant making me think I should have stayed with you, lol......loved it, loved it, loved it....now to stamp my burlap xoxoAnita

    ReplyDelete